Customer Help Centre

We’re here to help with a range of resources, including information, support and advice you can trust.

Car Insurance

Whether it’s the answer to a question, help with a claim or emergency or a document you require, the answer you need will be included in this section.

Top 10 Questions

  • Can I get insured with a UK Licence following Brexit?

    Following the ratification of the UK/EU Withdrawal Agreement on Friday 31 Jan 2020, the UK are no longer a member of the EU. Since 31 December 2020 a UK licence held by residents of Ireland is no longer valid to drive here in Ireland.

  • Do I need a Green Card for driving in Northern Ireland & the UK – Brexit?

    Proof of your car insurance e.g. a valid Irish insurance disc will act as proof of insurance when driving an Irish registered vehicle in the UK, including Northern Ireland. A separate Green Card is not required. If you already have a Green Card, check the expiry date and if still in date this will also be accepted as proof of valid insurance.

  • What should I do if I have an accident?
    • Check for injuries, starting with yourself and then other passengers in your car.
    • Don’t move any injured parties unless they are in immediate danger from oncoming vehicles.
    • Call the emergency services, giving as much detail about the car crash as you can such as the location of the car crash, number of people and vehicles involved, and any injuries sustained.
    • Do not admit, deny, negotiate or settle a claim without your insurer’s permission.
    • Take note of the following third-party details: names, addresses and phone numbers. The address of the owner of the vehicle you are driving if it’s not your car. The car insurance company name and the insurance policy number as well as the driver’s licence numbers. Vehicle’s registration numbers car’s year, make, model and colour. Keep a record of the name, address and phone number of any witnesses. Take photos of the position of and damage to each vehicle involved in the collision.
    • Notify the local Gardai immediately.
  • What number do I call if I have been in an accident?

    Please call our customer care team on 081 8800 222 as soon as possible after the accident occurs.

  • What is Breakdown Rescue / Breakdown Assistance Cover?

    Breakdown Rescue Cover typically includes cover for roadside assistance with usually up to one hour’s free labour in the event of a mechanical breakdown, malicious damage, punctures, lost or stolen keys, keys broken or locked in your car, etc. It also covers towing your car to the nearest repairer or getting you home if it can’t be repaired. Driveway assistance is included in some policies – please refer to your policy documents for full details.

  • What is the Breakdown Assistance number relevant to me?

    You should check your policy documents or insurance disc for the insurance underwriter relevant to you and call the corresponding number. A full list of emergency numbers can be found on our website here.

  • What does D.O.C. mean?

    D.O.C. means “Driving Other Cars”.

  • Am I insured to drive other cars?

    Dependent on the licence type and occupation, driving of other cars extension may apply to your policy, on a third party basis only. Please refer to your policy documents for full details of what’s covered.

  • Am I insured to drive abroad?

    Your car insurance policy will automatically provide you with cover within the EU. Please refer to your policy documents for details of number of days covered under your policy.

  • Who can drive my car under my policy?

    Anyone who is named on your policy can drive your car.

    If Open Driving is on your policy, depending on specific terms, any person free from accidents, claims, disqualifications, endorsements and convictions, aged from 25 to 70 years holding a full EU or UK driving licence. Some insurers exclude drivers with penalty points. Please check your policy documents for full details.

Acorn Insurance

My Acorn Insurance

Client Login Area